Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Peanut Puff

Peanut Puff is one of my favorite Chinese New Year delicate. In my younger day, I used to do this with my mother and one of the Cantonese neighbors "Ma Jie". In fact Ma Jie taught us how to knead the flour and folding of the trimming.

In the eve of Chinese New Year, she will stay up the whole night to make this peanut puff to keep her awake for the purpose of 守岁, it is believe that by doing so, it can prolong the parent life.

I missed the chatting and bonding time with my mother while kneading the peanut puff. Is really an asset to me as I can't get the same flavor from the ready make peanut puff.
Most importantly the tactics of folding the timming that I have acquired over time.


















Ingredients

For the pastry filling
100gm groundnut
(fry, cool, shell the skin and blend coarsely)
4 tsp Sesame seed (roasted)
4 tsp fine sugar
(mix together and ready for use)

Pastry
300gm plain flour
half cup of syrup (boil half cup of water with 2 dessert spoon of sugar)
2 tbsp of cooking oil


Method:
  1. Pour syrups into plain flour.
  2. Knead and mix well
  3. Add in the cooking oil gradually and knead in between
  4. Leave dough with wet covered cloth for 10 minutes
  5. On a rolling area, take small portion of pastry and roll it out
  6. Use a circle mould to cut out the design
  7. Take the cut pastry, put in 1 tsp of peanut filling and seal the edges.
  8. Continue til pastry is used up
  9. Heat the wok and deep fry the peanut puff
  10. Leave to cool and keep in air tight container

No comments:

Post a Comment