Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Korean Mochi Bread with Black Sesame (韓國QQ麻糬麵包)




Korean Bakery Homemade Sesame Glutinous Bread Mix

I was at the cookery section and found this baking cookbook on Mochi Bread at the library. Didn't know that mochi can mixed with bread and create a New Era for the bread history, what a brilliant thought.

It has a website skybake.com with lots of recipe for mochi bread. Oh, not only mochi bread but a width range of bread, pastries & cake recipes.


With this Mochi Bread in mind, I starts on my ride in search of a good recipe in fulfilling my dream of baking the mochi bread. In the next few days, I spent times in looking at the various blog site and get to know the type of premix mochi flour available. Taiwan premix mochi flour from BakerKing brand and Korean Bakery Homemade Sesame Glutinous Bread Mix.

Blogger Site that I have visited to collate these information:-


1) Aunty Yochana - Auntyyochana.blogspot.com

2) Do what I like - Wlteef.blogspot.com

3) All That Matters - allthatmatters2rei.blogspot.com

4) Bakerking - Bakerking.com
The premix flour is called Xiao Xue Q Fen (小雪Q粉). Found this brand "BakerKing" at Kwong Cheong Thye at Lorong 27, Geylang (Singapore). But "Xiao Xue Q Fen" which is the flour that I'm soughing for is not available, what a pity!



I'm thinking that if I can't get the pre-mix mochi flour, maybe I can try using the Japanese mochi flour to bake the mochi bread. I proceed to try my luck @
Anna's Culinary (Coyaku Food Products Pte Ltd)
Blk 47, Sims Place
#01-173, S 380047,
tel 67470069
one of the place recommended to buy the Japanese mochi flour. Having too much confidence on the location, I didn't pay much attention to the address mentioned at the website.


To my dismay, I can't find Anna's Culinary.
Isn't it next to
Phoon Huat at Geylang Lor 23,
1 Sims Lane #01-10,
S 387355,
Tel 68467825 ??
I called up "Art of Eating" who asked me to check if is at the right side of the road next to Phoon Huat.
No, is neither there too.
Sob, Sob, that goes my dream of getting the Japanese Mochi Flour!


Back in the office, I get hold of the tel # and called Anna's Culinary. Omg, it has moved to the HDB block behind Phoon Huat. Across the road., opposite the Hawker Center.

I made my way there after I knock-off from work.
Did I get the flour ?

Yes, No, they don't sell the premix flour
Hold on, what now ??

The Japanese Mochi flour is available
cost S$10 for a packet (230gm). I grab one packet of it for another type of Japaneses mochi bread recipe.

I reached home later in the evening and continue to do research on the flour. That's another place that recommended by the blogger on where to buy this Korean Bakery Homemade Sesame Glutinous Bread Mix (Seoul Mart at Parkway Parade - SG). Gosh, is out of the way for me.

The next morning, I talk to Art of Eating of my intention to drop by Seoul Mart at Parkway Parade. She asked me to try the nearby accessible Korean Mart around the CBD area. Searching through the Internet and is very lucky to find the list of Korean Mart available in Singapore posted by solelyseoul.blogspot.com .

Ki Ki Too Too, which one ?

Okay, decide on this -->

S-Mart Korea Shopping Mall
34 Craig Road #02-10
Chinatown Plaza
Singapore 089673
Tel 62247753, 6224 7097
Online Website : Koreasmart.com

It must be a auspicious day for me, my three lunch kaki's is willing to accompany me to S-Mart. Guess what, I found the Sesame Glutinous Bread Mix (cost S$8.00/box) there. The person attending to us is very helpful. Did the baking instruction translation for me too. Really very please with my good luck today and the supports from my lunch kaki.


The Premix Mochi Flour hunt finally come to the end.


Here come the baking experience....


1 box come in two individual pack of 250 gm premix flour



Before bake


The end product look like English Rock Bun






Chewy inside





Ingredients

250 gm Bakery Homemade Sesame Glutinous Bread Mix
1 egg
70 ml water or milk (if use milk ignore the milk powder)
2 tbsp of milk powder


Method

  1. In a mixing bowl, pour in the water or milk.
  2. Add milk powder. Stir well (skip step 2 if you use milk).
  3. Add in the egg. Stir well.
  4. Fold in the flour progressively in one direction until all flour are used up.
  5. Knead into a dough. You may dust a bit of bread flour or plain flour to your palm if dough is too sticky.
  6. Divide dough into 25 gm each and shape them into round balls.
  7. Place the shaped round balls on a lined tray. Dough yield 12 balls.
  8. Preheat oven at 180 temperature.
  9. Bake for 5 min then spray with some water.
  10. Bake for the next 5 min then spray with some water.
  11. Lower the temperature to 160. Bake for another 10 min and spray with some water.
  12. Turn the baking tray around and bake for the last 10 min till brown.
  13. Remove from Oven.

Hints : Best eaten when hot. Preheat or put in toaster to heat the mochi bread when you want to consume. Mochi bread turned hard when cold. But once preheat or toast, the texture is chewy soft inside and crispy outside.

After going through the whole lot of hassle, I will grade it a worth while effort. Is definitely a nice treat for family gathering or party where you can pre-bake the bread before hand and serve it hot to your guests. The whole baking + preparation time is less than an hour.

10 comments:

  1. any guidance on how to make these without the pre-mix? I have so much rice flour at home, I don't want to waste it by buying something else! I love these little rolls so much, I am dying to try them at home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't use the rice flour to make mochi bread. It don't give you the chewy texture. That's another recipe post under http://bakingncooking.wordpress.com/2008/03/29/mochi-bread-finding-the-right-recipe/ that use mochi flour or glutinous rice flour. You may want to try using this recipe.

    Happy Baking and Cheer !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried the recipe. It worked out really well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I saw it at the supermarket and bought the mix on whilm. Or rather my mum did. Not even giving the fact that we can't understand the instructions at all a thought. Let's see how it tastes...
    Hehe, if it's as good as you say I'm afraid that if I make it now I'll end up gobbling most of it up before she gets home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, chance upon your blog while searching for mochi bread recipe. Cant wait to go for flour hunting =) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. making mochi is pretty easy too
    http://www.japansugoi.com/wordpress/japanese-mochi-is-yummy/

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you! i have this bakery homemade package but it is in korean. thanks for the translation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife Mia loves these Korean QQ mochi buns with black seeds!

    To all people:

    Where can I buy the pre-mix in Vancouver BC Canada?

    Thanks in advance!

    Please email me after you post to share with other people!

    My email:

    cheunged@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any wheat flour in these buns? I have an allergy to wheat and I am trying to find a bread alternative. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. never like using pre-mixed..... we dont know what is added, perphaps some avoidable food chemical.....:) Anyway thanks for sharing..:)

    ReplyDelete