In the Kansai region (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and surrounding areas), Dorayaki are called Mikasa, name after a mountain in Nara Park in Nara. It has been known as a tourist attraction, an excellent place to view the moon.
I did some research and here's the final product of mini and normal size Dorayaki.
Ingredients (can make 8 nos of Dorayaki)
4 whole eggs
150g top flour
60g castor sugar
60g honey or 40g of maple syrup (for better fragrance)
1 tsp baking soda >
2 tbsp of water > mix together
5 tbsp of milk
5 tbsp of milk
2 tbsp of sugar syrup
Ingredients for Red Bean Paste
100g Red Beans
1/2 tsp salt
- Pour eggs into a mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs and slowly add the castor sugar (divide into three times) in the same direction. Whisk eggs until the colour is light and fluffy.
- Add in honey and mix well. Then add in baking soda that was mixed with water and mix well. Add in sieved flour and using a spatula mix the flour into the egg mixture. Do not over stir the mixture.
- Cover the batter with cling strap and let it rest for 30 mins in the fridge. After the resting time, pour in the milk. (Tips : add in more milk if the batter is too thick or add more flour if the batter is too dilute).
- Heat pan up using low heat. Do not put in any oil to the pan or wok. Scoop one spoonful of batter onto the pan or wok. And make into a round shape.
- Let it cook until you see bubbles forming. Then turn the pancake over and fry for another 5 seconds.
- Brush sugar syrup on both side of hot pancake to prevent it from getting dry and hard.
- Spread the red bean paste on one of the pancake and seal with the other pancake.
For sugar syrup - Mix 1 tbsp of sugar to 1 tbsp of hot water. Mix well and leave aside to cool for use.
- Soak red bean for 4 hours
- Pour red bean into saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Fill water enough to cover the red bean + above 2 inches level.
- Turn to low heat once the water boil and cook until red bean is soften and drain the excess water.
- Pour cooked red bean with some water on to the blender (if you like to have whole bean, skip step 4 - 5).
- Blend until paste is form
- Remove from blender and pour red bean paste, maltose, sugar and cook at low heat. Stirring from below up. Keep stirring until sugar melts and excrete water.
- Continue to cook until red bean is dry.
- Add in salt and leave aside to cool.
Note : You may choose to use jam, Nutella, ready made paste for fillings)