Guess what for today ??
Yes, Marble Cake !
Did some research from Internet and with the valuable advice from Yin and G', here it goes....
Marble cake recipe
250 grams butter
200 grams caster sugar
250 grams self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk powder
2 drops of vanilla essence.
3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Cream the sugar and butter with a mixer till white and fluffy.
- Add in eggs. Fold in flour (use a wooden spoon and gently add in). One egg and one fold of flour until all eggs and flour are used up.
- Add milk powder (for soft dropping consistency batter)
- Add 1 - 2 drops of vanilla essence
- Take 1/3 of the batter and put in the cocoa powder. Mix well.
- On 8" x 8" cake tin, plop the first layer with vanilla cake mixture, next chocolate and vanilla alternately.
- Swirl with a chopstick.
- Preheat oven to max temperature for about 3 - 5 mins. Continue baking at 160º for about 45 mins.
- Cool cake before cutting
Recipe : Marble cake (tips to avoid lousy cakes)
Making nice cakes involve precise measurements. One cannot skip or add extra ingredients. For The butter and sugar, it must be beaten fast and hard to avoid the butter from melting too much. The butter and sugar has to end up fluffy and white. To get the best result, use a electric cake mixer. Add in egg one by one, alternating with flour. I.e. One egg, fold (as in gentle motion with a wooden spoon), add flour, fold, one egg, fold, flour etc.
If the cake tin is too small and there is not enough place for the cake to rise it will create crack after baking.
Preheat the oven at max degrees and turning it to moderate is for better cake texture.
Pointer taken from Lilian of malaysiabest.net